A Beginner’s Crochet Adventures: my first scarf and hat

I learnt to do basic crochet as a child, but only recently picked up my hooks again after a break of easily 35 years. I’d been looking for something to do, a hobby, for a while, and the thought of actually producing something appealed, as opposed to staring at a screen which I do all day at work (computer) and every evening (TV).

I purchased some hooks, chosen entirely because they are pretty, a pattern and a few balls of multicoloured wool.  Except it’s not wool, its ‘yarn’.  Oddly, ‘yarn’ feels more difficult to say and doesn’t trip off my tongue as easily as wool, but it’s more accurate, as the yarn I purchased was acrylic and had never seen a sheep.  I chose Lion Brand’s Jiffy Multi Salem.

knit_pro_symfonie_d_ended_hooksLion Brand multi jiffy salem

My plans were to crochet a cowl scarf.  I guess a scarf is where most beginners begin.

I selected my pattern (marked as ‘Beginner Easy’) and spent a good while checking that I was ordering sufficient yarn of the correct weight.  I got stuck in, and managed to work out a lot of the pattern’s shorthand ‘code’.  My first attempt didn’t turn out well, I could tell that a cowl was supposed to be tubular, but my work was increasing each round, like a sun.  I was barely halfway though the pattern and had already used three quarters of the yarn,  I certainly wasn’t going to have enough for a matching hat at this rate!

SnipImage1

Nothing for it, but to take a photo for the record, unpick and start again.  This time I spotted my pattern reading error, and although the final cowl looks nothing like the pattern cover, I’m really pleased with it.  I can wear it looped double, dangling like a long cowl, and, as in the picture, on chilly days in the office I can snuggle my shoulders inside as a wrap.

SnipImage (2)

All that was left to now, was to make a hat to match.  I seriously doubted that I had bought enough yarn to make the hat that was included in the pattern, so I spent ages searching around for a hat that I liked the look of, whose texture matched the texture of the scarf, and one which wouldn’t need too much yarn.

After toying with the idea of an ear warmer, I eventually settled on a beanie.  By now my confidence had grown, patterns became easier to understand, and even the confusion between USA and UK terminology didn’t phase me.  But still the hat was a disaster!

SnipImage (3)

It was all crown and no sides.  More like an enormous beret than a beanie!  It was time to unpick again. I decided to retain part of the crown, and to invent a pattern as I went along.  Nothing to lose by trying.  Success!, the work was developing into a beanie shape, and I had plenty of yarn in the end.  I even managed to make a flower for the front.

20140823_154757

So, a few mishaps along the way.  And a lot of learning in a short time, but I’ve got a scarf and hat ready for the autumn!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s