I failed my O Level maths at school in the 1980s. So when my employer (a college) offered this to staff for free I signed up before I had a chance to talk myself out of it!
Monday evening is maths class – here’s what I covered yesterday.
- Times tables: I had these drummed into me as a child, so I’m fairly confident.
- Long multiplication and long division: The method for long division is now much easier. No need anymore for that huge ‘ladder’ underneath and dropping down digits – just carry over.
- Prime numbers: divide only by itself and one,. Cool
- Product of prime numbers: I started to get a bit worried. But it turns out that its multiplying two prime numbers.
- Write the product of prime numbers in index format: What?…and breathe, it just means writing 2 with a tiny 3 superscript instead of 2 x 2 x 2
- Highest Common Factor (HCF) and Lowest Common Multiple (LCM) of a pair of numbers: Take a big breath now
- HCF: find the prime factors that are common to both and multiply them.(actually not so bad)
- LCM: find all the prime factors. Take all from one of the numbers, and any extra factors from the other and multiply them all.
- Write a number as a decimal with two, three or four places: count the number of digits after the decimal point
- write a number as with two, three or four significant figures: the same, but round up if its five or more
Yaay I survived, and even did my homework on the bus going home!